Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Why I Don't Fly Southwest...

Usually, I don't use this blog to post my opinion as bluntly as I am doing now. The thing is - I am not a big fan of Southwest Airlines. Not at all. I have never been on one of their planes and have no intention to do so in the future. Not only does Southwest have the ugliest color scheme of any U.S. airline, I also believe that the company does not do a good job maintaining its aircraft, which is the main reason I am not flying them.

Several times in the past incidents occurred on Southwest flights that caused me to question their thoroughness in checking and maintaining their planes. The fact that a gaping hole appeared in-flight on a Southwest flight a few days ago confirms my suspicions. And Southwest has a long history of poor aircraft maintenance. In 2008, FAA inspectors submitted documents to the U.S. Congress, alleging that Southwest allowed 117 of its aircraft to fly carrying passengers despite the fact that the planes were "not airworthy" according to air safety investigators. This is the worst hit the airline has every experienced to its reputation. In 2009, a Southwest plane was grounded because of a hole in its fuselage. And now there's a similar story. I just don't believe it's a coincidence this happened to Southwest.

My recommendation: Don't fly Southwest until they have their safety issues figured out. I don't want my hair to get ruined by a gaping hole at 900 km/h. Can you imagine that kind of wind?

9 comments:

  1. My experience with Southwest was horrible. Their attitude extends to "don't sweat the inspections".
    Don't risk your life on such an airline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what southwest is the best what are you talking about they are one of the best air lines but that was just an accident i wish i could be a pilot of southe west somday and you have problems

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least I know English spelling. And if you don't believe me, google "Southwest AND safety!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come fly with us.........We have never dropped one. You can't say that about whatever airline you fly. By the way Mr."I have never flown SWA". Those 117 flts we flew, we self disclosed our mistake to the FAA immediately. We care, we have a great record. Most of all we would love to have your big mouth on one of our flts to show you why we are #1. Take a chance on this airline you seem to know so much about but have never flown us. Your too funny and are missing out on a great ride!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go ahead- fly other airlines. We care about safety. And you are one of those customers that is going to bitch about every little thing from buying your ticket to landing. When it comes to people like you, I'm sure that you would be much more comfortable paying for your bags, blanket, pillow, food, etc. The type of customer service you deserve is the kind you will get with the "other" airlines. Not Southwest. Go pay for the piss poor service you will get elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the meantime I have been on two SWA flights and yes, the service was okay, the flight attendants very friendly, the boarding process was good, but your planes just suck. These old 737-300s are terrible. I sat next to an SWA flight attendant (who was on a personal trip) and even she admitted that she totally understood why people are scared to fly Southwest. She herself is concerned about her safety sometimes. That says a lot. I fly a lot and I have never heard an airline employee admit that. Scary! I continue to avoid SWA as much as I can. JetBlue's planes are so much better. I don't care for great service - which I admit you have - I care about arriving safely!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being in the aviation field Southwest is by far the safest airline out there. Only 2 recorded accidents and they were skidding off the runway ordeals and one off them was because of a snow storm in Chicago. I fly southwest weekly due to my job and enjoy the airline compaired to AA and delta. Many of you fail to remember most planes that fly are well over 20 years old. As far as the hole in the 737 its a common problem due a design flaw. If i remeber correctly a flight to Hawaii had the same problem where a passenger was actually sucked out of the aircraft and that wasnt that old of an aircraft then. Just face it no matter what people will complain because they have to wait at the gate while the aircraft is checked over but then again if something like the hole in the aircraft happens they jump on the airline about safety problems. Face it anytime you fly at 34000-40000 feet at 447-500mph you take a chance of problems happening. Weve had cars around linger than planes and they still arent the safest way to travel compaired to flying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate Southwest with a passion, although it's safety record is not all that bad compared to anyone else except Qantas. For me, the issue with Southwest is the whole "schtick". It's too egalitarian..I hate the boarding system, the lack of assigned seating, and the lack of a good rewards program. Other airlines reward loyalty with First and Biz class, Southwest only gets you a better chance at a coach seat. I hate the camp counsellor chumminess of the crew, and I hate the throngs of inexperienced fliers who take Southwest without question because it USED TO BE the cheapest (it is not anymore). It is the grayhound busline of the sky. Like McDonalds, it illustrates the fact that financial success is not always the result of selling a quality product. You can sell crap and still be successful.

    ReplyDelete